Thursday, September 14, 2006

Día de Independencia

Let me take you through some of my nicknames here in Guate. Sad to say that I am not Drewski and that is sad for me. Well… it has become apparent to the other Municipal Development volunteers that I have a love for making maps. The programs that they use here are ArcMap and ArcView. In honor of me being a huge Geography Geek my friend Megan has started calling me ArcDrew. Lot’s of people make fun of the way I say my O´s so several people are calling me a Hoser or Dakoohhhta. Maybe the best is that since there are two Andrews in our group I am called Andresito with translates to Little Andy.
September 14, 2006 what an excellent time to be in Guatemala. Tomorrow is Independence Day here in Guate and the celebration is huge. I like it almost more here compared to the 4th of July because of the participation of the youngsters. Every grade from the school has a marching band and they dance through the streets. They have been practicing everyday we have been here and it is fun to actually see them march now. Last night I went with the family to a school play in honor of the Día de Independencia.
Tonight we have to say goodbye to one of our fellow trainees. He was a great trainee and much fun to hang out with, unfortunately because of family matters he must return to the US. I definitely wish him the best and that he can return to Peace Corps Guatemala again someday.
Tomorrow we have a much needed day off and it should be interesting to take in the cultural experience.
Still having a blast here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take care,

Drewski

5 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey little andy-what a great celebration you'll be experiencing..what fun your having getting with the program in your new country getting to know and enjoy their customs...we are so proud of you and love hearing all about your life there..
love you..papa and grandma

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Drew
Ya veo que estas muy bien, y muy feliz, me alegro mucho porti, todos deseamos que estes bien, te queremos y extrañamos.
cuidate
samara ya te conoce por fotografía.
bye.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew:
tell me de food is like peruvian food? Do you remember our food, don´t you? jajaja, I hope so.
be happy, have fun
Tu comadre
silvia.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day to my black eyed godbaby - you fit right in with that good looking family - sweet pictures of your little ones. I'm with Nicker - I just want to squeeze them! So fun to see your smiling face Drew. This sounds like such a great training period for you. Soak it all in buddy and keep the updates coming. Love you. Aunt Sue

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Drewski,
(you'll always be "Drewski to us Minnesoootan's) What a great time to be there, experiencing their Independence Day celebration, sounds like they have great traditions! Your host family-wow, what a gift! And are they adorable. Drew, we love living vicariously through you, thanks for journaling. How's the guacamole in Guatemala?
Love you, Margi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home