Saturday, October 28, 2006

Feeling HOT HOT HOT

I met my counterpart on Weds to the laughter of many of my closest friends because we won the award of volunteer/counter look alike. He is in his early 40´s and is a licensed architect. I really liked him from the start and believe that we will have a very productive two years together.

We embarked on our journey of 4.5 hours and left the training center in his 1985 Nissan as he asked me
Andrés, que tipo de música le gusta.¨ Drew what music do you like
¨Todos tipos.¨ Any kind

We then proceeded to travel through this beautiful country listening to some type of Rancho music when I in fact learned that I do not like all types of music. He then told me that he had some CDs in English. I had no idea what to expect when he put in the CD and I jammed with him to the song of ¨I’m every woman¨ by Whitney Houston. We were about an hour from my site when he put in the other English CD and it was the Beatles greatest hits. We rolled into town as I sang ¨We all live in a Yellow Submarine.¨

As I stepped outside my breath was taken away by how hot it is here. Holy cow!!! I am not complaining because you all know how much I hate winter but holy Jesus is it ever hot here.

All of my future co-workers are truly wonderful people and were all very accepting of me. I helped out during the morning at the city Health Center putting up signs about how to stay Abstinent and prevent AIDS. I also got to go to the children’s center and play with some of the sick kids which was really special for me.

After work I was invited to a City council meeting. Many of the people in this town are real characters. It is almost like dying and going back to the 1800´s with some of the guys in Cowboy hats, riding on horses, and having their pistols holstered on each side. The mayor of the town gave a welcome speech for me and said it was a true honor to have me here as the group gave me a nice applause. I then stood up and thanked them for this opportunity and told them how excited I was to work here and live in their community.

At 1:00 today I go to meet my future landlord and I am praying that I have a decent house to live in for two years. Really hard for me to miss HOBO days today but there will be more in the future.

Take care and thanks for all of your comments,

Drewski

7 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're very excited about your new assignment.sounds like your really welcome there and we know it will be a better place when you leave..we will keep praying till we hear that you have found another wonderful family and a new home-sweet-home. bet you left a 4 1/2 hour family in tears behind you.keep the new news coming.love being in your world.love you papa and grandma

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andres~
We hope your transition into your new community goes well and that your loving spirit will enrich the lives you touch. You have so many gifts, it's been great to read your journals on how you're using them.
God Bless,
Margi & Rick in chilly MN!!

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Drew, just keep in mind when you are feeling the heat, that I woke up this morning to a chilly 18 degrees! I was so glad to see that you're posting again. I look forward to your stories and live each day vicariously (spelling?) through you. Stay safe and learn much. JJ

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Ali & Andrew said...

Hey Drew, I just found your blog (courtesy of Ginger's) so I thought I'd drop a line. It sounds like things are going well for you...that's awesome! I hope you have a fantastic time..I'll be reading!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi drewcito:
Samara miss you so much.
did you remembered her?
my little baby is growing very fast.
bye
have a good time.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi drew....this is the first time i have left a comment on a blog...so, i hope you get my message...i have enjoyed reading all about your adventures and viewing the pictures....it just seems like yesterday we were leaving st.martinschool and you would say, "let's blow this pop stand"...now, there you are with little ones who probably say similar cute comments....so good to see your mother on occasion...wish we could get together more often...rachel/tom are both at usd...seem to be doing well....can't wait to read about your next adventure...be good, take care of yourself and continue to do good deeds...you are a wonderful person, drew...the world needs more of you...can they clone you....hugs,rhonda

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drewski, thought I better log in to your blog as it has been a while since I have been able to. I really enjoy the stories...even the one of you hogging the toilet. They should really get more upscale there and get a two seater!! I really felt sorry for the poor little boy. I hope all is going well there for you. We miss you at the Career Center and did survive the fair. I only have one more question....what about to the girl you met there????

Sister Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home