Sunday, September 17, 2006

Killing in the Name of...

Well…

I should start off the blog for today by stating that I am in fact growing a Guatemalan Mustache. I have about a week’s growth and well… it is mostly hideous. Pictures coming soon and I want everyone to rate the stache and vote if it should stay or go.

My independence day started out with my most unusual Peace Corps experience yet. I was woken up by the sound of 9 chickens screaming for their life as my host dad ROCAEL was yelling “Púchica.” I then learned that on Friday we were going to kill these chickens and start preparing them for the birthday party I am about to attend. Now I have hunted most of my life with Grandpa and Dad so I thought to myself how bad could this be…

Well the process started out like the Rocky Movie where Rocky has to chase the chicken around to build up his speed. After 5 minutes of chasing around a single chicken it was my job to hold onto the wings. As I held onto the wings Rocael tied a piece of string onto the leg and then the rest of the string was tied onto the fence. He then twisted the neck of the chicken and gave me the signal to let go. As I let go the chicken would fall and hang upside down. While the chicken was hanging upside down it would start to freak out and flop all over the place with its neck twisted. As it became more freaked out with it’s head twisted eventually it would pop it’s head right off it’s body. If you are having a difficult time understanding I don’t blame you but I was lucky enough to do this nine times.

After the heads popping off Rocael and I went to the streets to watch the celebration. It was so much fun to see all of the kids dancing. I am not making fun but it was kind of comical to see the Guatemalan fire truck leading the parade. We are talking a 1985 Ford Mini van painted green with a red light on the top. They had a huge town dance that I attended later in the night. Two different Guatemalan girls asked me to dance, but the looked like they were 16 years old maybe so I decided just to watch.

In the next couple of days I hope to show pictures of the Parade, Birthday Party, and best of all the Assassination of the Chickens.

Take care,

Drewski

9 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell your Host father they is a great fun trick to killing a chicken. You capture the chicken and cut its head of and then set it back on the ground and the chick will run around with no head! I am looking for to these chicken pictures! I have to admit I got a good chuckle out of the green mini van fire truck, sounds like something Murph would ride around in while fighting fires in Sioux Falls! Have a good one!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, even in another country you make me laugh! Sounds like everything is amazing Drewski...keep doin' what you do. Love you!!
Amy Star

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey drew-i remember how many roosters you chased down for me so i'm sure you didn't have a hard time with tame chickens..sounds like a great birthday dinner ahead.
love you;;;papa

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, you make me laugh even when you are not here. Today is one of those days that I definitely wish that I were in Guatemala chasing chickens. Good stories, looking forward to the pics, and will wait to form an opinion on the stache.
Jodi

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drewski.....yes, it will always be Drewski here at the office. I have enjoyed reading your stories. It sounds like you are enjoying this great experience and just think how many memories you will have as you age. Enjoy it and make sure you journal it also as it will be something for your children (yes, someday children and grandchildren)to read. I can really picture the chickens flopping around without the heads although my Grandma did not put a string on them...just wacked off the heads. I can't wait to see the pictures you will be sending. Take care.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drewbi, sounds like things are going great down south. I'll be thinking and praying for ya bud. Oh yah I would definately go with the mustache for a while.
Mikey A

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as though you are having some fun and unusual experiences!! Donny and I got a kick out of the "mini van", being in the car business and all...maybe a new market for those vans! The children are adorable, I am sure they have you wrapped around their fingers!! You have a way with children! We went to watch Amy play last night...she had quite the cheering section from Huron and she once again had a fabulous game! Lots of fun...we missed you.
Hope all is well and we are thinking of you...Take Care and keep the stories coming!!
Lots of Love...The Schoenhard Clan

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drewbaby,

The green firetrucks, totally forgot about them. Sounds like you're having a great time. By the way, 16 is of legal age down there. I'm not sure why I know that, must have been from my orientation. At least for medical concent it is. Anyway, have you rode the chicken bus yet? What an experience! Keep up the good work on the blog. Bebé Del Hielo Del Hielo.

Scotty Rip

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Drew! First of all, we vote YES for the mustache...sorry Karen! :) It is too funny to say no to! Sounds like you have really been enjoying your time in training and making some great friend. Glad to hear that you are feeling better, and VERY happy that you had some caring friends there for you. Miss you lots, Drewski (I like your new nicknames, but will stick to the classic). We love the stories and will keep on a readin' Take care and Love You!!

Jody and Ed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home