Saturday, January 12, 2008

Feliz Año Nuevo

I would like to start out by wishing all of you back home a very happy and healthy New Year. I must say that 2007 was one of the most challenging and difficult years of my life, but it also was one of the most educational. Now that I am approaching the final year of my service here I can definitely see positive changes in my attitude towards life here (Thank GOD).


Last week I went and visited Pablo. He told me that he suffered a broken right ankle and his left knee was severely damaged (sorry but my medical Spanish is pretty weak and I really didn’t understand much of what he was telling me). Nevertheless, he has to spend another month in bed resting but does have a remarkable outlook on life. By looking at the picture of his car you can understand why he is just thankful to be alive.


Although I spent yet another holiday season away from my family which was extremely difficult, I was thankful to pass it with a wonderful group of people in two beautiful locations. Here are some of my favorite pics from the beach. For New Years to I went to what I consider the most beautiful lake in the world. Lake Atitlan is surrounded by volcanoes and was a great place to be to celebrate New Years.

I started teaching English class this week to a group of guys in my town. They insisted on paying me money for teaching them class, however, I explained to them that I was a volunteer and didn’t want their money. Instead of money they worked out a payment plan of giving me food and a few cold beers once in a while for my service.

Take care,

Drewski

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you Pablo. Please let him know that he is still in our thoughts and prayers. The picture of his car is frightening. Love the Christmas colage, it makes me very excited for Cancun! See you on the beach in 19 days! Love you, Mom

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the pics from your Christmas and New Years. We missed you but it was nice to know you were spending them in a beautiful place with great people. Pablo does look to be a very fortunate fellow. Sometimes our outlook can just make all the differance. Just like you said Drew you are starting to see positive changes for yourself. I hope this year goes quickly and I know that you will carry these experiences with you forever. Everyone is anxious to see you in Cancun - I'll have a cold beer and beach chair waiting for you. Love Aunt Barb

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey drew- you look like your holiday was way to much fun..so happy you have such great friends to share with. good news about Pablo. hope each day finds him healing faster.
we have to know about your most beautiful lake in the world!!!!!does it have crappies???does it have pontoons???does it have wally-eyes????does it have jet-skiis???? we'll be thinking about all of you in Cancun as we exist in the 20 below tundra. try and explain that one to co-workers.
love you tons,papa and grams

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew,
Belated Happy New Year and I hope Pablo is getting better. Wow, you have allot of projects going Drewski. My favorite dentist told me you are meeting up with your extended family in Cancun this month. I'm so happy you'll get another visit worked into your schedule without needing to make the trip all the way home. Nice article in the Huron paper about you meeting the PC director. Or should I say about him meeting YOU?! I cut it out and saved it in our office scrap book. Take care and keep the info coming. Love the personal insights you add. Take care. RW :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home