Monday, February 26, 2007

Teaching GIS

Hola,

Sorry for the delay with my blog entries but I am forever grateful that I am busy here with work. I have decided to use this blog entry to explain what it is that I am doing here. So many of family and friends are seriously confused why I am not living in a MUD HUT and not teaching English. Today’s Peace Corps has given me an unbelievable experience that I seriously don’t know how it could compare to anything in the states. Sometimes I wonder how I found a job that combines my degrees in Geography, Geographic Information Science, Spanish, and Latin American studies. I feel very fortunate to participate in the NEW AGE of Peace Corps. When comparing myself with my Uncle Mike I can only respect him even more for his service in the 80´s. There were no computers and certainly no cell phones for him to call home on.



Peace Corps Guatemala has a partnership with a Geographic company located in the capital and I have the amazing job of traveling this beautiful country and giving work shops to planning offices. Here are some pictures of me in action sporting my very classy mustache. Besides teaching offices how to use GIS I am also working on a project to write grants and help fund education projects here in my site. That brings me to a very important question. I was wondering if any of you would like to donate money in the future to start a scholarship fund in my site. I am working on a way to set up Paypal on my blog so that all of the people that read this blog could donate and create opportunities for children. I am here donating my time so if we could combine that with money from home I really feel like together we could do some beautiful things here. Hopefully within the next 3 weeks I can set up this scholarship fund and we can get to work.
Till then take care,

Drewski

7 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in Drew - Aunt Barb

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the "fiduciry agent" for Scooters Softball, we are all definitely in. Just give me a holler.

BASZ

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bear::that's the blog we've been waiting for..love to know what your days are filled with and now we know what a fantastic goal you have set for all of us..when scott went to tailand , we helped buy a boat..now we're ready to educate..weren't we all born to make a difference??and thank you for helping us by leadership in your new world..we are sooo proud of you and we're sending hugs and kisses on friday like everyone else..have the greatest family vacation..our love.papa and grandma

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Drew, What a great MALE OPRAH you are. Love the idea of supporting eduation Count us in also, Enjoy your famiy, wish we wre there. Mike nd Lu

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration Drew. Just let me know what I can do on my end (in addition to sending money) and I will do it! It is a fantastic idea.
Jodi

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Drew,
I just ran across your blog and had to write. I started the GIS Planning office training in Guatemala back in 2001/2 and I think it is amazing that it is still going on. I would love to hear more detail especially which planning offices are "really" using the program.

Keep up the good work, tell Louis (I assume he is your ESRI guy) and Roberto I said hi and let me know if you need any assistance from the States.

Cheers,
Janet O'Callaghan

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

...forgot to give you my email in case you want to contact me:

janetocal at yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home