Monday, December 11, 2006

Did that really just happen???

I have lately been having these moments that have been extremely strange and well it is true that while in Peace Corps you have Surreal and Real moments. Let me share with you some examples of both.

Like the other day I bought a TV (which was an early Christmas present from MOM and DAD. Thank you both so much.) what was real was that I was about to get cable in my little house. What was surreal was how the cable guys climbed a pole, threw the cable through my window, and had it done in seconds. There is currently TV cable draped throughout the trees in my yard.

Real – Walking through the streets of my city.

Surreal – Walking through the streets of my city while dodging 10 year olds driving and strategically placed dog do-do. Also watching a Nun cruise by on a dirt bike while chatting on her cell phone. Kind of something strange.

Real – Being at a city meeting and listening to projects being proposed.

Surreal – Being at a city meeting and listening to projects being proposed by people speaking Chor´ti (which is the indigenous language of my site and I am going to take lessons on it.) Also during the meeting two street dogs came in and decided that was the perfect place to mate.

Things here are great but nearly everyday I stop and ask myself ¨Is that normal in other countries.¨

Take care,

Drewski

7 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY DREW..SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT JOB OPPORTUNITY BEING A ''CABLE GUY ''. NOW WE CAN SEE YOU IN YOUR ELEMENT WATCHING T.V. WHAT AWESOME PARENTS YOU HAVE..AREN'T YOU GLAD YOUR NOT IN THE STATES RIGHT NOW CRAMMING FOR FINALS???? NO SIGNS OF SNOW FOR A WHITE XMAS--MAYBE A GOLF GAME..LOVE YOU AND SOOOO HAPPY WHEN YOU SEND US ALL NEWS.PAPA AND GRAM

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew,
The house is way to nice for your 3rd world adventures as I expected to see dirt floors and recycled plywood for walls. Have you had a late night barefoot walk in the neighborhood yet just to feel what dog doo feels like between your toes? Could have some spa value state side if marketed properly. SuperDave

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew-
I too live in a real/sureal world (at the office). As you said, strange things occur that make you turn your head and say "did that just happen?" It keeps things interesting, but it never hurts to pinch yourself once in awhile just to make sure you are still awake. I have to know, did they at least break the eager couple up at the meeting?
Miss Jackson

 
At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dweski its BASZ:

Nice stache.... hot looking pad. good to see you in pictures. Hope all is going well. Your mom gave me your blogspot. nice site I'll check back. C U

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie! Big weekend - the Nickster is graduating! I'm very excited to see your Mom and Amy - your ears will be burning because we'll be catching up on all of your latest adventures. Sending you lots of love and hugs. We'll send pictures! You keep posting them too - we love hearing from you. Sue

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Drew,
It's been awhile since I checked your site. I'm so jealous everytime I do though. Sounds like you've had some incredible experiences so far! Love your little cottage! I love the 'stache even better though. Hope you have a wonderful holiday in the tropics. (I assume you won't be visiting Huron). Te extrano mi rey! Mucho amor, Kimberly

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved catching up on your blog Drew. Been so busy just hadn't had a chance to check on you. Your home is truly beautiful and I'm just so pleased you have a nice place to spend your down time. Sounds like your really enjoying your experiance, and they are enjoying you. The whole dog thing - amazing!!! I'll be in Cancun on Jan 27 for 2 weeks if you want to cruise on up - otherwise I'll just keep checking this blog. Love ya lots and I think about you everyday. Stay safe, love Aunt Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home